1/8 – When I find myself starting to feel like I have tons of clothing but nothing to wear – I use a capsule wardrobe trick to help me get more creative with what I already own. My “trick” is that I pick out a small number of clothing pieces that mix and match with each other and try to see how many different outfit combinations I can come up with. Many times I get stuck thinking that certain items go together like they are almost a permanent set – “that blue shirt goes with that floral skirt” – and forget to look for other less obvious outfit possibilities. When I start to think beyond my normal routine I get to the new fun outfits I wouldn’t have considered.
I have learned that by picking a few favorite & versatile pieces of clothing I can mix and match the items into a surprising number of outfit options. You just have to do a little planning up front. Hopefully the posts this week will show you my method and help you find the potential of the clothes you already have in your closet!
Here’s my method for putting together this fall/winter business casual capsule wardrobe:
Basics – First I picked some basics pieces to lay the foundation for the capsule wardrobe. For basics, I try to pick my favorite go-to clothes. Clothes I know I wear over and over. The ones that go with almost everything. For this capsule, I picked a neutral palette of greys & blacks.
- Black sleeveless sweater dress – Ann Taylor
- Black suit jacket – Ann Taylor
- Grey jersey blazer- H&M
- Grey sweater – Banana Republic
- White shell – Ann Taylor
- Black suit pants – Ann Taylor
Interest – Second, I added a few interesting pieces to compliment the subtle basics. For interest pieces, I look for pops of color or fun patterns or even texture that will make the basic pieces more exciting. I try to grab items that will compliment each other or at least be somewhat in the same color scheme. For this capsule I tried to stick to purple, burgundy and navy.
- Purple plaid printed cami dress – Old Navy
- Purple/lilac cardigan – J.Crew Outlet
- Mosaic full skirt – Ann Taylor
- Boucle jacket – H&M
- Polka-dot blouse – Express
- Pink bow blouse – Mossimo Target
- Navy ruffle blouse – Old Navy
- Purple Editor Cropped Pant – Express
Accessories & Shoes – Finally, I add some accessories to complete the outfits. Jewelry, belts and scarves can dramatically alter how an outfit looks. Unfortunately, shoes is the area I still struggle with. I always want just one more pair.
- Black pumps – Nine West
- Camel “Reva” Ballerina Flat – Tory Burch
- Grey pointed toe pumps – Shoe Mint
- Snakeskin ‘Gemini2’ pointed toe pumps – TopShop via Nordstrom
- Grey plaid scarf – JC Penny
- Black scarf – Target
- Gold, silver, pearl multi-strand necklace – Ann Taylor
- Gold Christina link necklace – Stella & Dot
- Gold Christina link bracelet – Stella & Dot
- Rebel pendant necklace – Stella & Dot
- Brown belt – Target
- Black belt – Target
Over the next seven days I’m going to show you 30 outfits that I put together with these 14 pieces. I will share four outfits each day listing what pieces they are made from. And then on the last day I will post a big downloadable image that includes the all the individual 14 pieces and all the 30 put together outfits for easy reference. I’ll also put together a printable guide with the same info for easy reference. Hope you enjoy!