All this working lately is making me dream of a little escape vacation! While I was pretending I had plans of traveling – I put together a mini-set of outfits for a short trip. (I got the combination ideas from this outfit set from Banana Republic.) At least I got a mental break! Hope you enjoy!!
- Basics – First I pick some basics pieces to lay the foundation for the trip. I try to pick my favorite go-to clothes. Clothes I know I wear over and over. The ones that go with almost everything. For me, this usually involves laying out jeans, favorite shirts and a pair of super comfy wedges.
For the basics in this capsule wardrobe I chose a light knit cardigan, white jeans, navy blazer and a white crepe blouse.
- Interest – Second, I add a few interesting pieces to compliment the subtle basics. I look for pops of color or fun patterns or even texture that will make the basic pieces more exciting. I try to grab items that will compliment each other or at least be somewhat in the same color scheme.
For this capsule wardrobe I chose a chevron dress, pink shorts and a teal patterned blouse.
- Accessories & Shoes – Finally, I add some accessories to complete the outfits. Jewelry, belts and scarves take up very little room and can dramatically alter how an outfit looks. Unfortunately, shoes is the area I still struggle with. I always want to bring just one more pair. But I’ve learned to limit myself to only either blacks or browns (depending on my clothes) and then nude/beige shoes go with everything.
For this capsule wardrobe I chose two necklaces, one gold watch and two belts (not shown). For shoes I packed wedges and sandals.
- Wedges – ShoeMint “Nicole”
- Woven sandals – Ralph Lauren Outlet
- Sunburst necklace – House of Harlow
- Teal cluster necklace – H&M
- Gold link watch – Michael Kors
- The Result – Here are the 9 outfits I put together from the 7 pieces of clothing!
- The outfits! – Here’s an outfit by outfit run down piece by piece.
- One suitcase proof of concept* – Here’s the individual pieces unpacked and packed up.**
*These ‘one suitcase’ posts don’t include personal items, makeup, undergarments, etc – I think there are many, very comprehensive lists like that on the internet that would do a better job then I would.
**My bag is totally tattered & stained. I’ve had it for over ten years. Sorry if it’s gross! 🙂
(Next up – I am working with a good friend of mine who has Europe travel plans this summer to put together a big Europe one suitcase post.)