Inspiration – Reese Witherspoon
All the talk in my last post about my Tippi sweaters meant my sleepy brain decided to grab one this morning. 🙂
First (long) Fitness Friday post below!
- Pink Tippi sweater – J.Crew
- Navy ankle pants (most worn item in my closet??) – Loft
- shop same (50% off through Jan 21)
FITNESS FRIDAY – The Plan
Ok – here’s my plan and below are updates from my first week back on track! Warning – this accidentally got very long…
1. Exercise Plan –
- Strength (3x/wk) – BBG Beginner on Sweat App –
- Waaaay back in like 2015 my (super fit) sister recommended this workout from an Australian personal trainer named Kayla Itstines called BBG (Bikini Body Guide) sold as this pdf packet that contained 12 weeks of plyometric exercises. I never followed up and sorta of forgot about her recommendation until I started seeing a ton of bloggers & random friends all recently start posting about using the program and it now has an app. (Blogger Rachel of Pink Peonies wrote a whole in-depth overview of her experience with BBG.)
- So I downloaded the Sweat app, paid the $20/mo subscription (ugh) and plan to wake up at 5:15 AM three days a week to knock out the 30 minute session in my living room before kiddo wakes up and the start the day craziness begins.
- Running/Walking (2-3x/wk) –
- I used to play a ton of soccer and run 10ks and 15ks pretty frequently. But now I’m sooooo out of shape, I couldn’t run for more then a few minutes without keeling over. So I put together a rough “couch to 5k plan” to slowly bring my ability to jog up to 30 minutes straight over 12 weeks. I’ll do 2-3 run/walks a week which will hopefully lead to my being able to run for 30 minutes straight by end of 12 weeks.
- Alternates –
- Stadiums – A group of my super fit friends to do a stadium workout on Sunday mornings. I need to get my butt in gear and join them every week. It’s great because I can bring the kiddo in a jogging stroller and it is a terrible/wonderful leg workout with running, sprinting, hopping and climbing all over the stadium ramps and bleachers. And it does go by fast with their fun company. (Right now I’m scared that I’m too out of shape to join in. Maybe I’ll go a few weeks on my own to build some endurance before I try it with the group…)
- Occasionally I also want to sub in some of the classes my gym offers. And on any day I reaaaaallllyyyy don’t feel like working out – I give myself permission to skip the planned workout IF I walk 12k steps that day!
2. Food Plan – Food for me is probably 85% of the impact as to what I weigh. I need to eat lots of fruit, veggies and lean protein along with the good carbs like quinoa or sprouted grain bread. And while eating those whole, non-packaged food – I need to TRACK EVERYTHING I EAT. This is always the biggest key to me losing weight. I’ve found that if I eat less calories then I burn my body gets lighter. (Um hello captain obvious?) And by tracking it takes away a lot of weird emotional stuff food can bring – I slipped up and ate 600 calories of Taco Bell at lunch? Then I’ll just have a very healthy dinner and go for a longer walk in the evening to balance it out. It just becomes about numbers so don’t beat myself up for screwing my plan up.
3. Weekly Weigh-In – I’d like to lose 20 pounds to be back to my normal happy weight. Targeting 1-2 lbs a week. So as a third step – I’ll track the change in my weight here weekly.
FITNESS FRIDAY – Week 1 Update
First week back on track is always so nice. You are full of motivation and hope and the scale always seems to be agreeable and move in the right direction. And week two is usually pretty great as well. Then it’s week 3 & 4 that I always feel like excuses and real life creep back in and start to wreak havoc. So happy, on-track update today. Let’s keep ’em coming for upcoming weeks!!
1. Exercise Plan – (Goal: 6x a week – on track)
- Monday – First day! Went to plyometric class with friend. So hard. So so so hard. I’m in terrible shape. So. Many. Burpees. (Workout was supposed to be BBG Legs – but this class was similar exercises so counting as substitution.)
- Tuesday – 35 minute walk to shake off soreness.
- Wednesday – BBG Abs & Arms – early morning workout. SO SORE from Monday!
- Thursday – Two mile run. (Ran 5 minutes at 6 mph with 2 min walk/rest – four rounds.)
- Friday – BBG Full Body – plan is another 5:15 am wake up for BBG Full Body. But I’m writing this Thursday night so hopefully by time you are reading this – I’m done and proud of myself for waking up when it’s still black outside. 🙂
2. Food Plan – (Goal: track all food)
Successful food tracking week! Tracked every bite that went into my mouth. Targeted 1500 calories per day. (I use MyFitnessPal app on my phone.) Ate oatmeal with almond butter and vanilla protein powder for breakfast. Cooked dinner all week and had leftovers for lunch. Walked by the candy bowl at my office every single day without eating any of it! Go me. Now I just need to survive the weekend which is always my danger zone!
3. Weekly Weigh-In – (Goal: 20 lbs.)
Down 3.4 lbs from starting weight. I feel like any time I start trying to eat healthy (after a period of not doing so) I always magically immediately lose 2 lbs. So even though this week the scale says 3.4 I’m really considering it to be 1.4.
- Weight change this week: -3.4 (loss)
- Weight loss to date: -3.4 lbs
- Goal Remain: 16.6 lbs to go.